During my latest senior session I heard her tell her mother that she did not want to have senior photographs taken. This immediately made me think about my senior year of high school and how I did not want senior photographs taken. When I was a senior I just felt like the photographs were a waste of my time. Just seemed pointless. Until later in life that is! Now I wish I had them taken! And that is exactly what I told Becca at her session. To those seniors that think they don't want to "waste their time" on senior photographs, I promise you...one day you'll wish you had them. And then it's too late.
1. Celebrate! Your senior year is BIG! You are leaving childhood and entering adulthood. You have worked your entire life for this moment. You have slowly developed into your own self...a unique and amazing individual. Celebrate this turning point in your life by having yourself photographed.
2. Express Yourself! By this point in your life you've found hobbies and other areas of interest that consume a great deal of your time. Take advantage of senior photographs to showcase these interests by bringing uniforms or props to your session...or even using a location that is special to you. Make the session all about you!
3. Memories! I'm sure you've heard it time and time again, but the years really do fly by. Right now you're a senior in high school getting ready to graduate. But before you know it, you're 28 attending your 10 year high school reunion and all you have are the goofy yearbook photos. Your kids will want to see you...your personality...when you were their age. I don't see many personalities in the staged senior portraits for the yearbook.
4. Prime Time! Everyone looks amazing when they're 18. So young and full of energy! You're also more than likely (not all the time) in the best shape of your life. Document this!
5. Gifts! Use your senior photographs as gifts for friends and family. We offer albums, books, wall art, cards, and prints just to name a few of the items. When my own kids graduated high school last year, we sent everyone that gave them a gift a print for them to keep as a keepsake. It is full of meaning...and memories.
BE PHOTOGRAPHED! It's better to be photographed than wishing you'd been photographed.